Day 4 in New Zealand

Yes, yes I do realize that it’s been a pretty long break and I have been away for almost a month. A lot has been changing in my life; you know being married, changing countries (continents…), getting adjusted, accepted, and acclimatized, being jet lagged, fighting fears, doubts; and finally, finally actually living with The Cool Guy.  Overall it’s been a coming-to-terms kind of experience for me so far. And with this I rest my case, while hoping to be excused for my absence.

I spent awesome 20-days with the rest of my in-laws in Singapore, enroute to New Zealand, while the husband slogged away at work here. What I did in Singapore and how much fun I had is definitely a matter of another post.  And by the way, I am awful at skirting around with a camera in hand, clicking pictures, stopping by a moment to capture memories and all. Ya, ya I know it a rather touristy thing to do. But I just didn’t. Stop whining now please!

It’s just my 4th day in New Zealand today, and I am already writing this post. Not bad, eh? There are things I should be doing; cooking, cleaning, unpacking, exploring, setting up the new home… but I have been guilty and miserable throughout the last month for my disappearing act on wordpress. My conscious kept gnawing at me for being away for so long. So I thought, let’s just first get guilt out of my way. So here I am.

As soon as I set my foot on the soil of NZ, I was greeted by cool, fresh breeze saying hello to me and I fell in love with this place instantly. You know how sometimes we get these premonitions, and before we actually experience something, we already know that we are going to love it. This was one such feeling. TCG was about 5 minutes late to the airport, and just when I started panicking and digging for coins (yes with all that luggage its annoying to dig for small things like coins) to call him, I saw him. A feeling of relief washed over me. I know there was nothing to panic or worry about, but just a day before that, he had been kidding about cabbing it up alone and coming home on my own. And for a moment, I thought that he was not kidding after all.

Wellington, which is where we live, is a hilly city. It’s so picture perfect that it seems unreal. Small, separate, beautiful wooden houses (mostly white) cocooned in the folds of the mountain. It’s cool, breezy and sunny at the same time…just the perfect concoction for someone who has lived in hot, humid weather all her life. People in general are very nice, warm and approachable. Strangers smile at you, wave at you and greet you with a customary “Morning Mate”. And I wouldn’t be mentioning this point at all if it was just one freak incident. Almost everyone who passes by you, smiles at you and greets you.

First day just passed away catching up, resting and lapping up the awesome view that we have from the balcony. Day 2 and Day 3 I was alone. What could we do, a guy has to earn his living! So while the TCG was away at work, I was freaking out in this big house all by myself. That we live in a separate house in middle of the hills and not an apartment (where it’s at least comforting to know that you have neighbors just the next door), added to the fear. I busied myself unpacking, cooking and cleaning and diverting my thoughts. I was almost successful in keeping those unwelcome thoughts at bay. And at 4.30, I walk down these hills to meet TCG below his office at 5. We walk around a bit (which IMHO is the best way to explore a city) and walk back home, which is quite literally an uphill task.

Now, Wellington is a very windy city. Very windy. WINDY. Early morning on Day 3, when it was still dark, we could constantly hear the whistling sounds of the wind. It was scary, just like it is in those scary movies. And there are no fans in the houses here. So no comfort from the slow droning sound of the fan either. There is just pin drop silence. You can actually hear the low humming of the crickets. Every little sound also sounds more amplified.  And it is pitch dark at nights. Since TCG was around at night, I was just about holding up. But during day, when he left for work, the loud noise of wind was just too much to ignore. They were rattling the windows up and for someone who is as uninitiated as I am, it was all a bit spooky (ssshhh…I don’t even want to say it loud and admit to my fear).

If you feel I am exaggerating, check this one random video out. There are many more on Youtube.

Windy City Wellington

Crazy, right? But, I will get used to it soon, won’t I? I am brave that way 😛

So that’s all from me today. Talk soon again.


18 thoughts on “Day 4 in New Zealand

  1. Niceee 🙂 Good to know you are loving the place Zee….njoyyyyy…..and ofc write more 🙂 🙂 🙂

  2. Such a candid post Zinal,you are an expert at writing about simple things so beautifully! Also, I hope you get awesome neighbours soon, just like your previous ones 😛

  3. zinal u will not feel alone for some time for sure as u ll have lot of honeymoon visitors whom u knw frm the group i guess (quiet a preferred destination i guess).. in fact if u remember praveen sharma from our classes, hes thr as i type for his honeymoon..

  4. Most of the places that I have lived in have been on a main road. Day and night, very noisy, especially as the bedroom always seems to be facing the front of the house. After a few days when I’ve settled down I only notice it if I think about the noise. You will be okay in no time. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s